AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Gaining Perspective


This weekend, while on my trip back home to Chi-town, I gained myself a little much-needed perspective.  I was making the trip to see my bff's new bundle of joy, a boy named Maddox, who arrived on the 13th.  A day before we (Ty and I) were set to make our trip, we got a call from said bff who informed us he was on an extended stay in the NICU.  Now when you hear that about any baby, your stomach drops and your heart sinks, but when it's one of your bff's, someone you consider family, you just feel sick with worry.  We contimplated not making the trip, as there was a chance we would be unable to see him or her, but this is where the perspective started to kick in.  I wanted to be there for HER and her family, it wasn't as important to her that I saw her newborn within a certain timeframe.  I wanted to support her.  So we made the trip...and I'm so glad we did (more details of that to come). 

My second bit of perspective kicked in the day we went to the NICU to visit little Maddox.  I'm going into my 32nd week of pregnancy and I admit I complain a bit about my symptoms;  being uncomfortable...you know...the usually pregnancy woah-is-me's.  As a mom of 1, you'd think I could put it all into perspective on my own...reminding myself it's all worth it in the end.  However, when you're almost 4 years removed from that miracle experience (birth that is) you tend to forget.  So when I saw that little man hooked up to all those machines in a place no Mommy or Daddy wants their newborn, perspective hit me like a slap in the face.  This is all worth it!  He's gorgeous, he's here, he's completing my friend's family and my bff was just radiating with love as she held and cared for her little guy.  It reminded me why all this griping is just that...griping...and I'll survive.  I'll get to the other side, sooner than later I might add, and it will all be worth it.  Babies are miracles and gifts in our lives, they are completely worth it all!  So if I have to grin and bear it for 9 more weeks to get myself a healthy, well-baked baby girl...then I'll do it.  Perspective my dear friends.  Perspective.

No comments: