AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Monday, October 18, 2010

I heard it with my own ears

Today was our 1st midwife appt.  It's definitely a different experience going to a midwifery than being monitored every 2 weeks by our RE.  But, I'm trying to make it a positive change, and hoping to relax into this pregnancy and finally connect with or baby, now that I feel confident I'll carry him/her to term and our care is finally "normal" ob care.  I was so glad to get back to seeing Stacy, she's the best midwife around.   

Today's milestone was finally hearing the baby's heartbeat!  Although it took an abnormally, and nerve-wrackingly long time to hear it...there it was at a quick 154 bpm!  We were both relieved and excited to finally hear it, since we had only SEEN it on our u/s.

Here's what the Old Wive's Tale's say about heartbeat & gender (although I don't believe it because Ty's hb was always very fast): 
"As the old wives' tale has it, if your unborn baby's heart rate is higher, above 140 beats per minute, that means you're carrying a girl. A lower heart rate below 140 bpm means you're having a boy.
It's hard to resist such an easy test, and ever so tempting to over-analyze the pitter patter of that tiny heart. In early pregnancy, the reassuring sound of that heartbeat is just about the only thing we've got to show a baby's even there.
But don't get your hopes up, or have your hopes dashed, based on your baby's heart rate, because it has absolutely nothing to do with what your baby has between its legs. This particular old wives' tale was found to be completely false by a medical study 20 years ago. Another medical study in 2006 confirms that fetal heart rate has nothing to do with the baby's sex, and even more convincing, Maureen has even conducted her own in-womb experiment to prove it".

Our next appt is November 17th, and that will just be a routine check.  Then we'll get to schedule the big u/s for the week after Thanksgiving for the big u/s and gender reveal!  So that's 6 weeks away, which I think will fly by!  I'm pumped to finally know what I'm having.  Also, Stacy say I should feel movement before I come back to see her on the 17th...so I'm very excited to feel the baby finally! 

No comments: